Sunday, June 17, 2012

A little about me...

(though this will probably end up on my google+ profile at some point)


I am a recent graduate of the undergraduate Psychology program at York University and I will be beginning my masters at Carleton in the fall in Cognitive Science. My research, in the past, has been an interesting combination of the work of Thomas Kuhn, Imre Lakatos and similar theoreticians with the formal theory of dynamic systems (or chaos). My goal for some time has been to find a plausible way in which to approach the task of modelling or formalizing the mind that evades the problems of the contemporary structuralist--post-structuralist dialectic. That is, I have attempted to answer the following riddle:

How does one have a completely relative, post-structuralist framework without throwing structuralism "out with the bath water." Or, what role does formalism play when it no longer allows access to the 'truth,' 'infallibility,' 'power,' or any other hierarchical maneuver.

The best answer I have so far is that it may offer productive anticipations whose viability is gathered purely on the basis of persistence. Less opaquely, formality builds (mental) structures in a way that is useful.

My interests, outside of my research, are somewhat diverse. They largely involve Psychology, Philosophy, formal theory of some kind (e.g., mathematics), or technology/computers. You could also run into some music related things, fiction, and art on this blog.

Enjoy.